Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Mediterranean Salad and Brown Rice


This Mediterranean Salad is a classic horiatiki/Greek salad gone wild.....Greek feta cheese, tomatoes, cucumber, red or gold bell peppers, Italian parsley, red onion, and Kalamata* olives from your favorite small producer are supplemented with carrots, purple cabbage, asparagus, mushrooms, avocado, romaine. and fresh flat leaf parsley, basil, and oregano ...most any vegetable can be added, this is what was on hand for this particular Mediterranean Salad.





Red onions and mushrooms may be marinated for an hour to mellow the onion.

To 3TB of Red Wine vinegar add 1tsp of honey, 1 tsp of dried oregano, 2 TB chopped fresh oregano, 1 minced clove of garlic, and 2 TB olive oil....add 3-4 sliced crimini mushrooms, and 1/4 thinly sliced red onion....allow to rest for one hour.
The marinade will be used as the dressing, and added to the final salad

Slice or chop tomatoes, cucumber, and vegetables available, toss with marinaded onions and mushrooms,
crumble in 2 oz of feta cheese, toss, and drizzle with marinade.

Serve with warm brown rice, pita bread or your favorite baguette

Salads are the time to be creative, go a little wild with your ingredient selection! No two salads should ever be exactly the same....
Just be sure to taste as you go along


From WebMD.com:
Slideshow: Top Cancer-Fighting Foods

5 comments:

Kinda Like a Chef said...

Looks fantastic! I just got some feta the other day, and after a trip to the farmer's market this week, it sounds like a Greek salad is in order!

Anavar said...

This salad looks delicious. I never thought to include rice in salad, but now I see that this can really tasty combination. My next salad will be like this one. Thanks for sharing.

om said...

Hi Mo,
I am a feta devotee, so many different types, and so many uses, but my fave is in a big salad...if you have Jon's market in Pasadena check them out for an awesome selection of feta and other cheeses

om said...

Hi Anavar,
cooked quinoa works really well also...here in Southern Cali during the summer months I tend to turn everything into a salad....and it usually works, I really must post the few things that don't work in a salad, such as chilled duck breast, duck is not that great cold...

cheers!

Brian D. said...

I never get bored with your Mediterranean salads, week after week, and always new ingredients and combinations I would never have thought of.
After a lifetime of eating food from a package I would never have I thought I would become a salad freak, but I have, and my belly thanks you!